market-farming - permanent beds don't need tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: permanent beds don't need tilling
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 10:52:26 -0500

> Rose-
> It's true you will have to till a permanent raised bed. The Mantis or
> equivalent small tiller is great for that task. We keep our raised beds
> (all
> wooden-sided now as the hilled kind get grassy edges) at 42" total width so
> you can walk beside while tilling with the Mantis.
> Bob Gregson, Island Meadow Farm, Vashon WA

Hi Bob, I believe tilling is detrimental to the soil at all levels,
particularly the upper 2-3 inches where our soil-dwelling friends live. Each
tilling destroys soil life for at least 3 generations. Tilling also causes
poor tilth by mixing sub-soil with top-soil, and it leads to wind and water
erosion. Tiny particles of loam get washed through the tilled soil and lodge
at the hard pan level, and contributes to the "plow pan" effect. Water can't
flow down or up, so your crops are either drought stricken or flooded. The
sun baking on tilled soil exacerbates the problem, as well as drying out the
soil thus requiring yet more irrigation.

We are converting fescue pastures to market gardens at the rate of 1 acre
per year, and we only work our soil once. That is the initial pass with the
spading machine to break up the sod and loosen the hardpan. From that point
on we rely on mulch to keep out weeds, add organic matter, conserve
moisture, and protect the soil from sunlight, wind and rain. Adding that
much mulch is hard work, but we only do it once a year, whereas weeding is a
weekly chore on many market farms.

Our first year crop is always good, the second year is always great. The
only time we ever consider working up a seed bed is for tiny seeds that
can't be first grown as transplants, such as carrots and salad greens, etc.
We've never used a digging fork, considering them yuppy tools that require
too much labor for negligible results. Let the soil dwellers do the plowing,
they really get off on it if you leave them alone and feed and water them
regularly.

Also, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your book Rebirth of
the Small Farm. Excellent book, thanks for writing it.

Regards,

Andy Lee
Good Earth Organic Farm
Buena Vista, Virginia