market-farming - Re: permanent beds don't need tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: permanent beds don't need tilling
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:51:51 EST

Hi Andy-
Thanks for the nice words about our book.
We agree that it is desirable not to disturb the soil layers with tilling, if
possible, and have always admired Ruth Stout's approach, which sounds like
you are using. The big concerns here in the Maritime NW are perpetual slug
habitat in mulch, and the inability of the soil to properly warm in the
spring if covered with (typically) light colored, reflective mulch.
Presumably you are mulching with some kind of straw. Our soil is pretty
cold. The idea of avoiding all tilling is very attractive and we'll give it
a try on several beds this year....experience tells us that where we
winter-mulch with chicken litter (on rhubarb and raspberries) the soil is
wonderful underneath, but that is a rather dark material that has lost its
reflective sheen. Also, your chicken tractor technique has worked well for
us as we rotate small flocks of chickens around the garden (which we learned
from your book).

We concur about the digging fork. As we get older and wiser we realize that
Nature will do much of the work if we let her! Thanks again for all your
pioneering work.
Bob and Bonnie Gregson, Island Meadow Farm, Vashon, WA