market-farming - RE: Motivated deer...(Re: fence posts)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Motivated deer...(Re: fence posts)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:44:52 -0600

We had never had a deer problem until this past summer. When the drought
hit, to save our market vegetables, we irrigated. The irrigated plots were
the only thing green within miles, and the deer cleaned the crops up. Even
our fall tomatoes, both plants and fruit. They would eat the fruit just as
it got a blush - we had NO fall vegetable crop. The worst part is that they
have learned we have food here. This winter, it is not unusual to see 12
deer grazing our winter rye cover crop each evening. Our guess is that the
spring crops will suffer too - and if we have another drought, as predicted,
we may feed deer all summer. We can get tags to "harvest" them for crop
damage - but we can eat only so much venison! Deer fencing the whole place
would never pay for itself. What we hope for is a non-drought summer so
they learn different eating habits.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY