market-farming - Re: Motivated deer...(Re: fence posts)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Motivated deer...(Re: fence posts)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:50:09 -0500

I agree with Allen. The commonly mentioned deer deterrents work more or
less during the summer when there is plenty out there to eat. I lost over
$5000 worth of vegetables after September 15th last year to deer. Early
spring is also a time of concern.

An interesting fact about deer. In the 1950's, around here, if someone
reported a deer siting, the local newspaper would send out a photographer
to get the rare picture. This last year, it was rare for me to see less
than 4 deer as I drove in our mile long driveway in the evening.

What is the reason for these changes?

Is this just because the suburbs are rapidly moving in on our farm?

Is it because there aren't any poor country people left who poach deer all
year long for food (and therefore keep the population down)?

Where there other deer predators in the 1950's?

Is there something we are doing as farmers to make the world a more deer
friendly place?

Maybe it is that deer have adapted, just like the birds at my feeders, and
figure eating in my fields is a relatively safe thing to do.