market-farming - Re: source of organic cottonseed/Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: greenman <greenman AT ucla.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: source of organic cottonseed/Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:47:36 -0800

From their website at http://www.southernexposure.com/index1.html-ssi I read:

>Our seed varieties are produced by natural methods. We do not and never will
>offer
genetically engineered varieties.

>Much of our seed is organically grown. All our seed is free of chemical
>treatment, and
safe
for children and the Earth. Our seed production methods emphasize the
importance of a
living
healthy soil and respect for the interdependent web of life that sustains us
all.

Unfortunately you cannot order from the website - unless you want the online
special of
sorghum - 5 lb minimum.

David King

Wilderness Flowers wrote:

> also try New Mexcio organic commodities commission (nmocc )at 505 266 9849
> they have an extensive contact list for organic cotton growers
>
> martin
>
> >this probably wouldn't answer your friend's need, but FYI, I got some
> nankeen cotton
> >seed
> >from Souther Exposure and grew it out last year, it was a beautiful
> caramel-colored
> >short
> >staple cotton and by growing it out myself I now have a couple of quarts of
> bolls
> >(with
> >seeds) from one packet. I would call and ask them if their cotton seed were
> organic,
> >wouldn't be surprised if they were. This nankeen cotton also makes a really
> nice
> >decorative plant (why I grew it), it is taller, red tinted and more
> feathery looking
> >than
> >regular cotton and the blooms are saucer-sized and pale yellow. Also, Texas
> has an
> >organic cotton program, maybe your friend could contact their officer with
> the state
> >department of ag and could be put in touch with a farmer who would give her
> whatever
> >amount of organically grown cotton bolls (with seeds still embedded) she
> needed.
> >
> >Mary Hoelterhoff wrote:
> >
> >> A friend of mine is looking for a source, for organic cottonseed.
> >>
> >> She's just needs a small amount.
> >>
> >> I've looked in Fedco, Johnny's, Pinetree, ....and did find some in
> >> Southern Exposure Seed Exchange ( not listed as organic)
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of other sources?
> >>
> >> Mary Hoelterhoff
> >> Blue Skink Farm CSA
> >> Monticello, KY

> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> >

> >---
> >You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: flowers AT rt66.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> >

> Martin Connaughton
> Wilderness Flowers
> 223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
> Santa Fe, NM 87501
> zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: greenman AT ucla.edu

  • Re: source of organic cottonseed/Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, greenman, 01/27/2000