market-farming - Re: source of organic cottonseed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: flowers AT rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: source of organic cottonseed
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:27:35 -0700 (MST)

also try New Mexcio organic commodities commission (nmocc )at 505 266 9849
they have an extensive contact list for organic cotton growers

martin

>this probably wouldn't answer your friend's need, but FYI, I got some
nankeen cotton
>seed
>from Souther Exposure and grew it out last year, it was a beautiful
caramel-colored
>short
>staple cotton and by growing it out myself I now have a couple of quarts of
bolls
>(with
>seeds) from one packet. I would call and ask them if their cotton seed were
organic,
>wouldn't be surprised if they were. This nankeen cotton also makes a really
nice
>decorative plant (why I grew it), it is taller, red tinted and more
feathery looking
>than
>regular cotton and the blooms are saucer-sized and pale yellow. Also, Texas
has an
>organic cotton program, maybe your friend could contact their officer with
the state
>department of ag and could be put in touch with a farmer who would give her
whatever
>amount of organically grown cotton bolls (with seeds still embedded) she
needed.

>Mary Hoelterhoff wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine is looking for a source, for organic cottonseed.
>>
>> She's just needs a small amount.
>>
>> I've looked in Fedco, Johnny's, Pinetree, ....and did find some in
>> Southern Exposure Seed Exchange ( not listed as organic)
>>
>> Does anyone know of other sources?
>>
>> Mary Hoelterhoff
>> Blue Skink Farm CSA
>> Monticello, KY

$subst('Email.Unsub')

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: flowers AT rt66.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
Santa Fe, NM 87501
zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow