market-farming - Newbie Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Newbie Intro
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:22:31 -0800

Hello, all. My name is Rose and I'm primarily a cutflower grower in upstate
New York, zone 5.

My husband, Fred, and I rototilled 2.5 acres last year (with our wonderful
new 14hp BCS) in preparation for this year's planting.

The majority of this space will be devoted to cutflowers from seedlings
grown in our new heated hoophouse and from direct sown. About 30% of the
space will be devoted to produce.

The aim is to sell directly to customers thru Farmers Markets, as well as to
florists, restaurants, and anyone else who'll have us. The acreage is
obviously bigger than farmers markets can support - but, since this scale is
all very new to us - we haven't the foggiest idea of what 2.5 acres looks
like planted!

But, hey, seeds are cheap, right?

Good to be on board. I'm looking forward to hearing what you all discuss
and getting ideas on market farming.

Thanks,

Rose