market-farming - Re: source of organic cottonseed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Betsy <blevy AT rsocsun.tamu.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: source of organic cottonseed
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:18:37 -0800

this probably wouldn't answer your friend's need, but FYI, I got some nankeen
cotton
seed
from Souther Exposure and grew it out last year, it was a beautiful
caramel-colored
short
staple cotton and by growing it out myself I now have a couple of quarts of
bolls
(with
seeds) from one packet. I would call and ask them if their cotton seed were
organic,
wouldn't be surprised if they were. This nankeen cotton also makes a really
nice
decorative plant (why I grew it), it is taller, red tinted and more feathery
looking
than
regular cotton and the blooms are saucer-sized and pale yellow. Also, Texas
has an
organic cotton program, maybe your friend could contact their officer with
the state
department of ag and could be put in touch with a farmer who would give her
whatever
amount of organically grown cotton bolls (with seeds still embedded) she
needed.