lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] Podpress

  • From: John Joseph Bachir <jjb AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Richard Wallace <rwallace AT thewallacepack.net>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] Podpress
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:06:41 -0400 (EDT)

The problem is, Lyceum implements the get_role() method differently
than Wordpress does. Lyceum seems to have roles per blog. When you
activate podpress it calls get_role() it tries to find the
administrator role associated with the selected blog, but there is no
blog selected (you're in the system administration area) and there is
no administrator role that is not associated with a specific blog.

This is where I don't know what to do next. Why does Lyceum have
roles on a per blog basis? If I modified my Lyceum install to change
the get_roll() method to not look for roles associated with a
particular blog and treated roles as if they are global (which is what
I want them to be), what kind of an impact would that have on other
things?

Thanks Richard for sharing you experience with us. Sharooz and Richard-- have either of you tried podpress on a per-blog basis instead of system-wide? Some code will still probably need to be changed. To look at what code might need to be changed, look at the diff here:

http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/59

(yes i know the hashcash port doesn't really work right now... but i think that code will give you some ideas of what to change. it's not the greatest help because there aren't any sql changes if i remember correctly, and i think podpress will need some sql changes)

Regarding global roles: that would be pretty antithetical to the entire Lyceum architecture. Lyceum is meant to be a blogging services system, with the potential for custom cross-blog features.

John
----
aim/yim/msn/jabber.org: johnjosephbachir
713.494.2704
irc://irc.freenode.net/lyceum
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/
http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/