lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] frustrated newbie asking for installation help

  • From: Joe Harkins <joehark AT earthlink.net>
  • To: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] frustrated newbie asking for installation help
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:07:01 -0400

OK, I'm getting there, slowly but surely . . . a few more clarifications please . . .

In the file wp-config.php, is this correct?:

line 14: define ('MAINDOMAIN', 'blogs.example.com'); example being my domain name. "blogs." ? or "blog."

line 15: define('DEFAULTBLOG', false); shall I leave that or change to true when I want subdomains such as blogs.example.com

Then the rest of the instructions in the installation file (step 3] and 4]) are totally foreign to me. Where are codes those configured? My Apache server has Web Host Administrator for the server and cPanel for individual domains where I can make certain changes but I have no idea what I doing there. Considering that the server hosts about 60 web sites, you can appreciate that I'm not going to be eager4 to change how the server is configured unless I either know for sure what I'm doing and its consequences for all the domains - or it is done for me by someone else who knows all of that.

QUOTE

3] Set a wildcard DNS entry for your domain, using the DNS server that you use for all your other DNS entries. If you are doing it by hand, the entry will look something like this:

*.blogs.example.com. IN A 123.456.789.123

4] Configure apache to have a Wildcard Subdomain Virtual Host (I just made up that term). It will look something like this:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName blogs.example.com
ServerAlias *

ServerAdmin webmaster AT example.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/html

<Directory /var/www/html >
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

END QUOTE

Any advice on that issue would be greatly appreciated and if someone who knows what they are doing wants to have the server access and finish the installation, I would welcome that. Just ask for the server access.

Until then, I'm kind of on hold . . .