livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greenhouse gas fear over increased levels of meateating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greenhouse gas fear over increased levels of meateating
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 21:16:18 +0100

You got to love those optimists. I am going nearly deaf from the drums beating up for WW3. Russia has gotten one week to stop doing what it has not done. Can't help but wonder whether any one of us will still be around in 2020.
John

Family farms are better for sustainable meat production, as opposed to CAFOs, yet they're being decimated by Big Ag financially. The 8 percent used to grow food for direct human consumption could easily be ramped up by decreasing acreage for animal feed, but they keep wringing their hands over how to feed 9 billion

paul

Meat production is projected to double by 2020
More than two-thirds of all agricultural land is devoted to growing feed for livestock, while only 8 percent is used to grow food for direct human consumption
Consequences of increased global meat consumption on the global environment -- trade in virtual water, energy & nutrients
https://woods.stanford.edu/environmental-venture-projects/consequences-increased-global-meat-consumption-global-environment

Burgeoning appetite for meat. 50 years ago global consumption was 70m tonnes, by 2007 268m tonnes
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-17