livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Agriculture and Climate Change

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Agriculture and Climate Change
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 17:02:37 -0600

Well I don't understand what's going on there. Is the govt trying to destroy everything people depend on? Trees & shrubs? A crime? Insane.

On 5/29/2014 4:43 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
I know Paul but being really organic is a war in the EU. Have been breaking regulations for a long time and we have severely suffered for it. We get fined (almost $ 10 T last year alone) for having trees and shrubs on the land as just one example out of hundreds. Most neighbours rectified that by setting fire to all their shrubs and trees and they don't get fined. Doing what is right makes it very difficult to survive financially.
Imo we (all of us) are in an ever faster race to the bottom and I have not been able to do much to stop that. I am absolutely certain that I have sequestered thousands of tons of carbon (while breaking lots of regulations) in my soil over the years but all around me I have seen millions of tons go up in smoke and more millions of tons being washed away by rain water.
John

Looking at the actual press release
http://rodaleinstitute.org/reversing-climate-change-achievable-by-farming-organically/

Forget regulations; the govt program is DOA far as I'm concerned. The
actual organic practices are the key. Organic properly understood is the
right way and economically necessary and doable in and of itself. I do
it because it works, and go beyond it with intensive methods based on
agroecology. The methods are what sequesters carbon - not phony baloney
regulations.

paul