livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Please, don't try to buy a survival-stash of seed for the zombie apocalypse !

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mobius <mobius@mainestream.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Please, don't try to buy a survival-stash of seed for the zombie apocalypse !
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:17:30 -0500

On 1/27/2014 3:09 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
I agree and that is why I said at least. Also climate change that already can be felt enormously here is not helping. In fact we don't seem to have a climate any more but just weather and with plenty of extremes too. You can just any longer count on crops that have been a staple for 20 years.
However, there are still rules of thumb that do work such as having a huge variety in the ground when at all possible. Up to now there has always been something that survived the worst of conditions. We are still eating our own fresh vegetables every day even if about half of our winter standby vegetables failed miserably. After 27 years of trial and error we even have an idea of why this happened. We planted too late because previous years summer crops were very late. And then of course the weather was atrocious in at least the last three months.
Anyway, even a thousand packets of seed are not going to save you if you have never experienced what can happen in reality and only start after the shops run dry.
John
Each year I console myself, that at least I made more good dirt.  It's simpler here with one short sharp season.  I don't have overlap worries.

I've been looking at permiculture, but I think the list of possible species up here is a little thin..