livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Please, don't try to buy a survival-stash of seed for the zombie apocalypse !

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Please, don't try to buy a survival-stash of seed for the zombie apocalypse !
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:22:59 -0700

Please, don't try to buy a survival-stash of seed
for the zombie apocalypse !
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlife.html

... Yes, we know there are lots of websites out there selling 'survival seed packs' but to be honest, they are just preying on people's fears, and its really not a good use of your money at all.

Firstly, seeds are best sown fresh. Even stored in a fridge or freezer, the germination percentage and vigour will reduce over time, often quite quickly.

More importantly, suppose you do find you're in a nightmare situation where you suddenly need to grow your own food - it will be too late to start learning then! Even as an experienced gardener it can take several years to clear a new plot and make it properly productive.

And its not just learning to grow the food, you'll need to learn to save the seed, and store the veg overwinter. All take several years experience. So if tempted by one of these 'survival packs', just picture yourself hungry, standing there in front of your powerless defrosting freezer , with your now-out-of-date seeds in your hand. How exactly does that help you?

So, our view is this: Yes, we are living through the biggest theft in history - as the richest 1% of society turn gambling losses of private banks into public debt to be repaid by the rest of us, the taxpayers. Yes, it is outrageously unfair that our schools and hospitals are closed and privatised so that more money can be given to the bankers. And yes, coupled with climate change and peak oil, the current food supply and economic situation is pretty precarious. So, yes, we agree that it might well be wise to be a bit concerned at this point.

But if you are worried about the future, just stashing seeds away really won't help you. The best thing to do is to start your garden now, while you have spare time and money - and start learning now to grow veg well on your plot, maybe try to learn about storing it without electricity overwinter, and - even better - learn how to save your own seeds for future years. Perhaps your new skills won't ever be needed, but even so, you'll have had fun learning, and not lost anything.