livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] new ideas in growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] new ideas in growing
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 09:25:11 -0700

VERY interesting, 400 trialed. So I did a little search.
http://cipotato.org/roots-and-tubers/oca-ulluco-mashua
http://cipotato.org/roots-and-tubers/maca
http://cipotato.org/artc/cip_crops/factsheetyacon.pdf
Huauzontle (Aztec Broccoli ) http://www.realseeds.co.uk/cookinggreens.html

Also came across this historical gem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Vavilov
    "Hitler's army had already closed in on St. Petersburg (then Leningrad)—a desperate city that had lost more than 700,000 people to hunger and disease. The Soviets had ordered the evacuation of art from the Hermitage, convinced that Hitler had his sights set on the museum. They had done nothing, however, to safeguard the 250,000 accessions of seeds, roots, and fruits stored in the world's largest seed bank. So a group of scientists at the Vavilov Institute boxed up a cross section of seeds, moved them to the basement, and took shifts protecting them. Historical documents later revealed that Adolf Hitler had, in fact, established a commando unit to seize the seed bank, perhaps hoping to one day control the world's food supply. Although suffering from hunger, the seeds' caretakers refused to eat what they saw as their country's future. Indeed, by the end of the siege in the spring of 1944, nine of the institute's self-appointed seed guardians had died of starvation."[7]

paul