livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] new ideas in growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] new ideas in growing
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 00:44:07 -0000

Quite a few plants from the high Andes do well here. Tubers like potato, mashua, occa and yacon do very well. (ulluco is not a great success) Seed crops are not completely reliable but again quinoa and aztec broccoli from the Andes outperform more traditional grains conciderably.

I have over the years trialled at least 400 unusual crops and some 10% were worth keeping.
John
. I don't see how much can grow to harvest in those conditions. But as we say, don't put all your eggs in one basket, so evidently when you have enough variety there something will still make it.

Seems every year we try something that turns out a waste of space, but other things keep producing and selling. We try to ramp up whatever people wanted last year, but also try to grow new foods to have more they can't resist and so sell more. Doesn't always work. What really tastes great and sells doesn't always justify the space and effort it takes, yet some customers expect them so it's a dilemma. Like our Marconi sweet peppers. We still have some under cover in one greenhouse bed, but not enough to baby through the coldest months. As perennials they might regrow come spring. Snow cover here for 2 weeks now and I woke up to -10 F this morning and won't go out all day. Which things will survive is only a guess.

paul