livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Trans Fats Ban

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Trans Fats Ban
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:52:49 -0000

Hi Paul, comments underneath here

Good discussion! What you're pointing out there, John, is a most
sensible approach to agriculture, which is NOT "one size fits all". Of
course you wouldn't know that from most gardening books and "experts".
Too many variations in soil, climate, location, markets, traditions etc.
And certainly there are places where livestock work best, and I use aged
manure when I can get it. But I join Frances Lappe & many others who
oppose the enormous waste of declining resources for excessive and
unnecessary constant consumption of meat. It may be a lot worse here.
What we have now is CAFOs, confined animal feeding operations, that are
wrong in all the worst ways, and put extreme demands on water and fossil
fuel resources that could instead feed the hungry billion or so. Most of
our corn and grains goes to feed cattle, not people. Which is nothing
like free range beef etc grazing where crops are impractical.

Of course I agree with Farncis Lappe and yourself that the way most beef is produced is horrible and wastefull. I also think that the CAFOs are located far from the feed producing areas and that the manure piling up there is not being returned to the plant growing areas. This makes it much worse.
However, I am not an optimist that we will ever feed 7 or 9 billion people sustainably no matter what we do. I think I mentioned that before but as a young biologist some few years ago. (It was just the start that computers came into use for less than back breaking prices.) A few of us young Turks tried to calculate how many people this planet could sustainably feed. The figure we arrived at was a lot smaller than the present day population. It was oil that allowed our numbers to rise above that. Nowadays we can use 20 (and often much more) energy units to produce 1 unit of food energy. This is only possible by destroying the food producing capacity of the planet long term and wiping out other species.

You mention "not smart to get rid of the ruminants, plow up the land and
sow corn or soy." I agree again. Plowing up millions of acres - whole
states - in our Midwest caused the great Dust Bowl in the 1930's. It was
home to endless bison herds before the govt extermination (bison AND
plains indians) in the late 1800's. What was behind all that tragedy?
Wealthy land speculators of course.

And things have not changed. I think there are two enormous problems capable of doing us all in a lot faster than most expect.
A few months ago there was an article in Arctic News that gave convincing arguments that this phenomenon alone could wipe out most life in the Northern hemisphere in less than 20 years. They gave the Southern hemisphere another 15 years extra. Are we doing anything about it? Not at all. With the arctic getting ice free more drilling is already taking place. And of course there are people like the governor of Texas who think that : "Wind is a finite resource and if we go in for harvesting it the temperature will rise." Funny if it were not so sad.

The second major problem at the moment is Fukushima that you probably don't hear that much about on the regular news any more. The whole Northern Pacific is already so contaminated with their radiocative waste that it will mean the end of all fish consumption from there before long. The worst thing is thousands of tons of mox fuel hanging from the fourth floor of a collapsing building there. There is talk now of trying to get all those fuel rods down before it becomes completely impossible to cool them with the building sagging further every day. I don't think there is any expert on such matters who for a second believes that is going to end well. The corruption there is huge. The actual workers are driven like slaves almost with minimal pay. And the workforce has halved since the accident happened two years ago.
One mistake and we will have enough plutonium everywhere to kill us all in 6 months. An individual needs only a micro gram inside him to finish him in that time span.

Do we really need to waste time on what politicians are talking about? Or on further expanding the drone industry to enable us to bomb more poor people faster? The wealthy speculators are still thinking about fast profits only.

On self sufficiency I might add that we don't aim for that ourselves. We
feel that through history humans have been tribal and cooperative, with
some specialization of labor which is far more efficient than individual
self sufficiency. Community self sufficiency - partially - is more
practical. We wish we could do more local barter but this is Tea Party
Central, sorry to say. Total self sufficiency is a myth. We can feed
several markets but we can't build the van to get there .

Self sufficiency is often misunderstood. I use it as defined by John Seymour. Of course nobody can be self sufficient. We all need others. But that too is not the same everywhere. Where I come from (Belgium) I had many friends and colleagues who were handy at many things. I know professors in psychology whose hobby is building and MDs who like to weld. Life for us here in Ireland would be impossible if we were not fairly handy. We live quite isolated. Your car does not want to start in the morning? You better try to find out why and fix it for if you try to ring an expert to come and do it for you chances are you will not be driving anywhere for days. Hole in the roof? No problem if you have six months time and can live with all those buckets and pails to catch the drip (this is Ireland!)
About a year ago my wife dislocated a finger in a fall. It was pointing 60 degrees the wrong way and it was very painful. I could have put her in the car and driven to the hospital (half an hour) and sit there waithing for an hour or more (up to ten hours has been known) to find a doctor to fix it. Her whole hand was starting to swell already when I first saw it. So I gave here an hanky to bite on and snapped the finger back in place. 2 seconds work and pain gone. And with a bit of home made salve the swelling was gone in half an hour. Best part was that we had a reason for a good kiss.
The farming aspect of self suficiency is similar. You better produce everything you can yourself for the moment you have to buy something it can cost you a week's or a month's income for something you can do yourself for just the time and effort it takes you.
Also if you are into alternative healing as I am there are things you can not find anywhere for sale. I bought a good supply of lye just today (I can make that myself too if I were really pushed) with the idea to get back into ormus (sea milk) making. I have the idea that this might be one of the few things that can reduce damage from radioactive contamination. And it might also help plants to grow better when sunlight is poor. I don't intend to go selling ormus for this would be practising medicine without a license and very illegal. But I am wiling to give anybody interested the recipe for free. And if anybody comes asking me for some I'll give that away too.

This is hard writing for me that touches on so many critical issues. And
I need to finish clearing the old tomato beds to start repairing that
greenhouse for winter. It won't get done by wishing.

I fully understand we are in winter already and that does not make life easier.
All the best,
John

paul tradingpost@lobo.net