livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Go Green: How to plantafool-proofvegetablegarden??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Go Green: How to plantafool-proofvegetablegarden??
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:17:20 +0100

We did not have a refrirator for many years but then the whole of Ireland could be classed as such for most of the year :) Our cheeses mature at a temperature of about 16 C year round.
john

Yes, great source of protein. And aged cheeses need minimal refrigeration.
In fact, as you probably know, you can't age them in a regular
refrigerator--it's too cold. So they're ideal for any place (other than the
tropics) that needs to produce protein foods but doesn't have access to
refrigeration.

Liz

Good for you Liz, especially making cheese. That may have been the most
important activity that kept us alive in our first few years here in
Ireland. By the time we had bought the place we had no money left and
three
babies between 1-5 to feed on extremely poor soil and in a horrible
climate.
Milking goats and making cheese kept us going.
John