livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Poultry Question: Infectious Bronchitis

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Poultry Question: Infectious Bronchitis
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:12:03 +0100

There could be several possibilities as to what infection is the cause of this Aliza. If the cause is coccidiosis it could be difficult to get rid off and so would be trichomonas.

Personally I would try an herbal remedy while keeping the birds in strict quarantine. Fresh european ivy leaf 10 grams, elderberry bark of young stem and leaf 50/50 10 grams, blend together with linseed oil about 15 ml and spoon feed this into the birds about half a tea spoon each 3 times with about two hours in between. After that see whether there are results. If there is serious improvement keep up the dosing once or twice a day for a few more days but keep in quarantine for at least a week or two.

I have seen almost no disease in my birds since I started adding boiled sea fish to the birds diet a few years ago. Something you can't feed too much of or the eggs will become a bit fishy tasting but absolutely great to rear young stock. They really need all the trace elements.
john
I have a friend that is having a difficulty with what she thinks is infectious bronchitis.  Hasnt lost an adult bird but did have all the sypmtomology from funky shells to watery yolks and wheezing etc.  She was going to gift me a hen that is raising a nice brood of 9 chicks from Ideal but of course they are all potentially infected.

The question is what can she do other then up the protein in the feed and should I pass on the hen/chicks.  This was a birthday gift to me but I dont want to infect my flock.  They also suspect that they got a batch of stressed chicks from Ideal that had the symptomology of IB - all died wheezing - and most of her birds came from them originally as the feed store she works at gets most of their birds from Ideal......  Not knocking Ideal as they have nice enough birds and generally do a good job and we dont really know that that is what the chicks died from but apparently it really looked like IB.

Any suggestions are very very welcome as I would very much like to take the hen and chicks but dont want to end up in regret....

Blessings,

Aliza

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman