livingontheland - [Livingontheland] One Town’s Race for Sustainable Farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] One Town’s Race for Sustainable Farming
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:08:06 -0600

One Town’s Race for Sustainable Farming
http://organicconnectmag.com/wp/2010/11/one-towns-race-for-sustainable-farming/

Most of us know that the agriculture of the future will have to be
sustainable. We can no longer afford the “conventional” ways of industrial
agriculture: depleting soils, drenching crops with pesticides, and producing
cheap but low-nutritional food. Now one town, Northampton, Massachusetts, has
truly taken this notion to heart and is racing to purchase 117 acres of prime
farmland to expand sustainable agriculture for its citizens. By all
indicators, the project—called Grow Food Northampton—is set to succeed.

“Grow Food Northampton came about when we as citizens learned that the city
was interested in buying a farm for the purpose of turning it into
recreational fields,” Lilly Lombard, Grow Food Northampton board president,
told Organic Connections. “We did some quick research and discovered that the
land was prime farmland—which means that it grows the highest yield of food
for the least amount of energy.”

The land was also historically significant: some of it had actually been
communally farmed by abolitionist and women’s rights activist Sojourner Truth
back in the 1840s, along with 210 members of the Northampton Association of
Education and Industry.

“We brought all this information to the table and it helped to move the
political process toward finding a compromise use of the land, and actually
to increase the scope of the preservation project to include not only that
farm but the neighboring farm,” Lombard said. “Instead of a 37-acre tug of
war, it ended up resulting in a 185-acre preservation project that met
everyone’s needs.”

Of those acres, 117 are now targeted for sustainable farming—if the land can
be purchased in time. A non-profit land conservation organization called the
Trust for Public Land routinely purchases such property to keep it from being
developed, and then sells it to local interests to continue it. The Trust for
Public Land has obtained the farmland but must sell it by January 31, 2011.
The buyers? Grow Food Northampton.

“We have a purchase option with the Trust for Public Land to buy up to 117
acres,” Lombard explained. “We have to tell them by December 27 how much land
we’re going to go for and put a deposit down on that land. And then we have
to come to the table with all of the funds at closing on January 31, 2011.
It’s wicked, wicked quick.”

How far Lombard and her organization have come in meeting their goals shows
how committed the Northampton community actually is. “We have only been
fundraising since July 12 of this year,” Lombard continued. “As of today, we
have raised $520,000, nearly all from our community. It speaks of our
community’s alignment with the goals of Grow Food Northampton, which are to
promote the fundamental need of food security by advancing sustainable
agriculture. This means agriculture that will be there for us in the long
run, that builds the soil, feeds the local mouths, and that approaches
agriculture from a holistic perspective instead of just a one-way draw of
resources and land to produce cheap food.”

Part of the efforts to build soil will utilize a process called
remineralization, in which essential minerals are returned to the land to
fortify it and provide vital nutrients. The project will have plenty of help
from non-profit organization Remineralize the Earth (www.remineralize.org),
which is located right there in Northampton.

The Grow Food Northampton campaign has, by necessity, included a healthy dose
of education. “It’s been a huge learning curve for the community,” Lombard
said. “When we first came forward with our agricultural perspective on the
value of this land, people didn’t understand what ‘prime farmland’ meant. To
them, dirt was dirt. We had to introduce the idea that you steward soil—that
open space protection is not just absence of development. No development is
great, but the understanding that soil is a resource like water, air and
trees was new to some people. Now I think the community is really getting it.
To be fair, Northampton already has a really high level of appreciation for
local agriculture; the next step was bringing it down to the level of soil.”

Part of the process has been hosting local events in which films such as
Food, Inc., A Farm for the Future, The Future of Farming and Fresh are shown.
Each event is followed by a panel discussion.

“You can’t just come in and start asking people for money to save farmland
unless they get it—unless they really understand the value,” Lombard
concluded. “Fortunately here, they now see that the benefit is not just a
bucolic viewscape—where it’s sweet to drive by and see cows grazing on a
field. They comprehend how vulnerable our current industrialized food system
is, how lacking it is in providing the nutrients we need, and how unlikely it
is to sustain us into the future as energy depletes. At that level, it
becomes more compelling for people, and they start to seriously put their
personal resources toward saving and promoting what they’ve got.”

To learn more about Grow Food Northampton, or to make a donation, visit the
project’s website at www.growfoodnorthampton.com.

  • [Livingontheland] One Town’s Race for Sustainable Farming, Tradingpost, 04/22/2011