livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Go Green: How to plant a fool-proofvegetablegarden??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Go Green: How to plant a fool-proofvegetablegarden??
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:14:03 +0100

Good for you Liz, especially making cheese. That may have been the most important activity that kept us alive in our first few years here in Ireland. By the time we had bought the place we had no money left and three babies between 1-5 to feed on extremely poor soil and in a horrible climate. Milking goats and making cheese kept us going.
John

The yuppy vegetable garden. Still, if it gets even a few people to actually
buy seedlings and stick them in the ground, some good may have been done. I
worry about the extremes--one messages says "Anyone can do it," and then a
person tries and for no fault of their own fails (terrible soil, no rain,
poor quality seedlings, all of the above), and never tries again, thinking
they're just too stupid. The other extreme is, "Well, you need to do this,
and this, and this, and this," and by the time some people read that list of
requirements, they're so discouraged they don't even try.

What I think works best is for people who are actually growing their own to
talk about it at every opportunity, and offer help with questions and
problems. There's nothing like knowing your friend or neighbor actually
grows much of their own food to convince people that it might not hurt to
try. I make cheese, and I can't tell you how much people have said, "You
mean, you can do that at home? I thought it had to be done in a factory!"
And some of them have gone on to make the easy soft cheeses, even if they
haven't wanted to invest in the time and (minimal) equipment required for
hard cheeses.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
Go Green: How to plant a fool-proof vegetable garden

http://www.indeonline.com/mysource/go_green/home/x1225325005/Go-Green-How-to-plant-a-fool-proof-vegetable-garden

I'm not too sure about this.