livingontheland - [Livingontheland] May trip to Vermont mid-May (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] May trip to Vermont mid-May (OT)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:24:56 -0500

Hi All,

I'm putting together a trip through Vermont (and upper New York state) in mid-May. I hope to visit a number of farms, artisanal cheese dairies, and organizations like Intervale involved with local food/sustainability issues. Would love to see a "living fence" or "hedgerow" in actual agricultural use. Visiting/getting pictures of a large, traditional, multi-functional (picturesque) barn would be a plus.

I will be traveling from Garrison NY up through Bennington to start a loop around the state, continuing Burlington-northern Vermont-Montpelier, returning at the end of the loop from White River Junction (near Woodstock) to Garrison.

If you have an interesting poultry/small farm operation, if you're doing interesting things with conversion of organic wastes, work guardian dogs (with livestock preferably), or other--surprise me!--and would be open to a visit, please be in touch privately at
harvey@themodernhomestead.us

I imagine some useful magazine writing will emerge from the trip. Anything of interest to the group, I'll end up sharing. Also, I'm gathering ideas for a second book.

Thanks for your consideration.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK: An all-natural approach to raising
chickens and other fowl for home and market growers, will be published this
year by Chelsea Green Publishing (www.chelseagreen.com).