livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] living fence

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: paul@oneseedling.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] living fence
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 07:35:15 -0600

Actually up in the Panhandle of Texas there are plenty examples. I grew up near Shamrock and at the turn of the century about the only wood available was Osage Orange. The large trees were too big to cut (really tough wood) so they cut the branches for fence posts. Most of those took root and in 20 years the barbed wire had grown into the tree. Everywhere the apples ( too bitter for cattle or human to eat) there sprouted another tree. Farmers cut all but those growing in the fence line.
Even today, though the wire is long rusted away, neither man, horse or cow can pass through.
Makes some of the best long bows in the world as they tend to never break. It is reputed that the apple place under a cabinet chases the most persistent cockroaches away.

Paul the Skeptic