livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] living fence

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] living fence
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 07:55:33 -0500

On 02/25/2011 09:22 PM, Ken Hargesheimer wrote:
Harvey,

I have never heard of a "living fence" in the USA but nearly every other country I have been in, uses them. Would like to know more. Would never replace barbed wire in Texas!!

Ken H

Right, Ken, interesting historical development--the fact that European settlers in this country made so little use of living fences, though their use was fundamental in many of the countries they came from.

My article on living fences in Mother Earth News last year brought more response than perhaps anything else I've written. It's one of the things I want to get up on my website asap. Asap means as soon as I get past the deadline for making the final revision of my book's manuscript.

I'll post to the group when it's available.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK: An all-natural approach to raising
chickens and other fowl for home and market growers, will be published this
year by Chelsea Green Publishing (www.chelseagreen.com).