livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer prices putting manure in thelimelight

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer prices putting manure in thelimelight
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:06:19 -0700

That's it, Aliza. Except those cubicles were shipped out to India and China.
But the concept of human labor on smaller holdings is simple and doable, and
I know because I live it.

I don't need a tiller, because I only grow in fixed beds and don't walk on
them so they don't get compacted and don't need tilling. And I can grow
several times as much in intensive beds as single tractor rows can grow in
the same space, meaning you don't need a huge garden to grow a lot. And since
I don't need to pay for machinery (or chemicals or labor) I can clear more
profit selling retail from 1/4 of an acre than a lot of cash crop farmers
with a few hundred acres. Why? Because they're caught in the cost-price
squeeze, with suppliers and middlemen telling them what they'll pay for
inputs and machinery, and what they'll get paid for their crops, and because
they're so big they have to pay labor. What's left for the farm family?
Subtract all those big farm costs from the 10% of final retail price that
farmers receive, and the typical farmer needs a job in town just to keep the
farm. That is the official average. There's your food security.

The thing is, none of this is my own idea. I just figure out how to do it on
a low budget in a hard climate and short season. We all have to adapt, don't
we. But best growing and marketing techniques have been out there in books,
magazines and on the Internet for ages. Millions can do it.

And hold me to this: millions will be forced to do it out of desperation.
Forget 2012, it's here already for millions of unemployed. Save your seeds;
they're going up again.