livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Get Ready For Higher Food Prices" GoesMainstream

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Get Ready For Higher Food Prices" GoesMainstream
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:58:54 -0800 (PST)

Actually the problem here is there's nothing in the article claiming that farmers will be better off. It just doesn't seem well researched, and doesn't track what I've heard about margins on crop prices from the producers themselves. The fact that they are buying more land and equipment is probably indicative of the fact (or so I'm told locally) , that their margins are further eroding not ballooning as suggested by the article. Whether they are paying down debt or accruing new debt is as questionable as ever.

Of course its a good time to be an ag banker, it always has been, you take no risk and do no work, just like its always been great to be a banker of any sort. You take peoples money and keep some for yourself, when that fails to work you get a whole bunch of people's money and you take an even bigger pile of that. What's not to like?

What's stranger for me was the way all this was interpreted. Prices going up is a clear indication that economy of scale is failing, at the same time the article seems to point out that scaling up production is what will succeed, since its currently failing both the farmer, and now the consumer. Nothing was said about the increase in both fertilizer and fuel prices which dramatically reduce margins in so many other instances - it was almost as though expenses didn't really exist. Which is not strange from a bankers point of view (or an agronomist), but certainly something I've never heard a farmer suggest. Maybe they are all celebrating in Omaha, but its news I'd rather see first hand.

Certainly I'd like it to mean small farms move into a competitive pricing position - but I think its crazy to think that's possible as long as the distribution mechanisms of today still own the majority of the market. Yes people should grow for themselves, and yes communities are going to have to think of this as a serious problem in a seemingly short amount of time. I'm not the culture they have could lead to solutions where populations are densest. The examples I've seen locally suggest the opposite is occuring at an accelerated rate. Its almost as though the view of land as something to be destroyed has been sanctified to even greater levels - at least where I am these days.