livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Get Ready For Higher Food Prices" Goes Mainstream

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Get Ready For Higher Food Prices" Goes Mainstream
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:19:27 -0500

Interesting info about the timing of price increases. I hadn't thought about a chicken's lifespan entering into that, for example. I'm also glad if farmers are better able to pay down their loans. That by itself may slow the invasion of corporate agriculture into family farms. On the other hand, any time a profit appears on the horizon, you can be certain people with no interest in the work itself, but looking only to get rich out of it, will come sniffing around. We don't need any more agribusiness driven only by the bottom line.

Take-home message? Get out there and grow more of your own. And in addition to that, make an effort to find more local growers where you can buy things you aren't able or ready yet to grow yourself. Not everyone has to grow everything. I buy blueberries every year from a friend rather than grow my own. Helps to support him, and frees up my land to grow other things. He buys my blackberries in return.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>