livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-ScaleAgriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-ScaleAgriculture
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:11:44 -0800 (PST)

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-equipment-and-tools/small-farm-tillage-no-till-equipment.aspx

If using tractors,  spread out the wheels to run in permanent tracks.  That increases yields by 15%.  That leaves the bed without compaction.  Research proves this works.

I have been on farms in Central America where farmers, using only a machete, farm 10 acres in corn and beans.  They probably could farm more acres if they had it.

No doubt in my mind, that farmers, farming as below, can feed the world.  All they do is plant a crop and harvest a crop; no farming to do in between.  In some places they can do that twice a year.

Organic, no-till farming, using machinery, in permanent beds with permanent tracks for the wheels, increases yields, reduces labor by 75% or more, reduces inputs/expenses to nearly 0, increases fertility, stops soil erosion [no rain water run off], eliminates most weed, disease and insect problems and greatly increases profits.

Ken  Hargesheimer