livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Experiment in Country Living<Goodchild

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Experiment in Country Living<Goodchild
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:03:16 -0600

You're right on that, if we only focus on farm income we miss appealing to
those wanting a simpler natural life. And until the agribusiness system
collapses that's the real appeal, not the income. In fact, we ourselves
wouldn't be market growers at all if it was just about the money. I'd make
more driving a school bus.

Barb has the satisfaction of encouraging customers to cook. It's simple and
rewarding done right. She was telling me Julia Child once said she didn't
cook Italian because it's too simple !?! And I realized the fru-fru cookbooks
have long lists of ingredients because they have to mask the bland taste of
sad produce. And that Italian cooking can get by with being so simple because
the vegetable varieties taste good to begin with. People ask us how we cook a
Giant Marconi pepper. Well, any way you use a bell pepper - only the flavor
will spoil you for bell peppers. They ask about cooking a Delicata squash. I
say just like a baked potato. We throw in a fresh sprig of tarragon when they
get our Romano green beans. But many cultures have delicious food that's
simple and local.

Besides the life of a grower, giving people outstanding food is satisfying in
itself. And did I mention ... eating it.