livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farm subsidies database

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farm subsidies database
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:50:47 -0600

In principle it sounds good for customers to help finance the growing season
for CSAs. Agribusiness usually operates on a lot of credit which small
producers don't have access to. But there's more than just the financing. But
the big boys also have crop insurance! I won't ask customers to provide my
crop insurance, so I agree - I can't ask them to share the risk, which is
definitely going beyond simply financing me for the season. My misjudgments
and bad weather shouldn't cost my customers. Those who do CSAs are free to
keep on, but that's my take on it.