livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We Went to the Mountaintop But It Wasn't There

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We Went to the Mountaintop But It Wasn't There
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

They were just talking about this on the Wendell Berry list - in and of itself a strange thing to have developed for a guy who doesn't want anything to do with computers.

BTW his new book 'What Matters?' is highly recommendable. Pretty much the same themes as in his other essays, but using examples which are current since it was just published. One interesting point he brought up (and this I believe applies to mountain destruction as well), is that this sort of thinking has been present since the dawn of the industrial age.

 He points out that in England in the late 1700's large unemployment was created when the industrial loom was introduced , along with the destruction of weaving/fiber communities  the quality of material (work) decreased. This lead not only to more poverty , but a quite a bit of protest regarding mechanization. These dissidents called themselves 'luddites'. The recipients of this progress were some of englands early 'mobile' class and as every mobile class is expected to do many moved into the first slums they could find in the cities in order to bask in the glory of their new found unemployment.

Fast forward to today's mountain top removal and the overlap is worth noting. The reason mountain tops are being removed as opposed to  tunneled into , is that modern mechanization permits fewer people (one or two guys in a steamshovel) to extract more coal the a couple dozen miners could previously with a greater profit margin for the shovel owner.  Whatever is left of the local mining communities (and farming ones) are further erroded to the benefit of the fewer, and the protestors are being called variably 'anti-progress' and 'luddites' this time by the industrialists. Of course the coal is the same quality , but the quantity of the damage is further reaching. One can only assume the folks who can no longer drink their water or use their land will be expected to take advantage of their mobility and settle in a suitable zone of urban blight.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that even after a couple hundred years the machines get bigger but the thinking seems to stay pretty much the same....