livingontheland - [Livingontheland] We Went to the Mountaintop But It Wasn't There

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] We Went to the Mountaintop But It Wasn't There
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:12:45 -0600

We Went to the Mountaintop But It Wasn't There
http://www.utne.com/Wild-Green/Wendell-Berry-Takes-His-Papers-and-Leaves\.aspx

Wendell Berry is truly a man of letters: The famously computer-hating
http://home.btconnect.com/tipiglen/berrynot.html agrarian writer
still pens all his essays and books by hand. So it's got to hurt the
University of Kentucky to hear that it won't be getting his
voluminous archives as it had expected. Why? Because Berry, a man of
rock-hard principle, is offended that the university is naming a new
dorm for basketball players the Wildcat Coal Lodge in order to please
coal-friendly donors.

The Lexington Herald-Leader got its hands on the acid letter Berry sent
to the university regarding the matter. "It is now obviously wrong,
unjust and unfair," he wrote, "for your space and work to be
encumbered by a collection of papers that I no longer can consider
donating to the University."

The papers measure 60 cubic feet in volume and would fill about 100
boxes, the Herald-Leader reports. They remain at the school while Berry
negotiates their transfer to the Kentucky Historical Society in
Frankfort.

Are university officials surprised? They wouldn't be if they looked
back to this passage in a 2005 essay by Berry, which originally appeared
in the book Missing Mountains: We Went to the Mountaintop But It
Wasn't There: Kentuckians Write Against Mountaintop Removal
<http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Mountains-went-mountaintop-there/dp/18932\
39497/sr=8-1/qid=1157950242/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5799459-3516852?ie=UTF8&s=b\
ooks> (Wind Publications):