livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:33:11 -0400

On 07/07/2010 01:23 PM, Tradingpost wrote:
. . .it's obvious that a constant diet of red meat is harmful.

I'm not sure it's obvious at all. I've read that the Lewis and Clark party ate about nine pounds of meat per man per day--and little else--during their two-year expedition, with no apparent ill effects. It was common for the "mountain men" who followed them to subsist on little other than hunted meats (like the Plains Indians from whom they learned). There are many other examples of almost exclusively meat diets on which the eaters thrived.

Of course, they weren't eating CAFO meats, were they? Nor am I advocating a meat-only diet. But I don't think the evidence is at all sound that eating "a constant diet of red meat"--typical of hunting cultures where game was plentiful--constitutes a health disaster.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.