livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] on Logsdon and the many versions of no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] on Logsdon and the many versions of no-till
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:12:49 -0700 (PDT)

I'd say soil that has a porous or thin eluviation zone (so called 'A' zone in some texts) benefits from occasional tillage as an example, likewise some soils with clay substrates are improved by tillage particularly those that get bound up with large amounts of nutrient robbing mosses. I also think tillage removes some weeds better than roll crimping (eg my old friend swamp hemlock), and I think some heavier compacted soils can be improved by it also.

No question that tillage reduces the bacterial and fungal load - which sometimes is a good thing, of course it can also interfere with soil structure/peds. Again depending on conditions / slope / climate ... etc both structure and soil supporting communities tend to restore themselves.

 Wildlife does some small scale 'tilling' of its own which benefit some soils and some plants, something I believe which is fairly well known to mushroom hunters.

I don't think there are any absolutes with respect to tillage any more than there are absolutes with respect to soil type and structure. My view here is largely influenced by my observations not by being an expert. I've yet to fully understand how cactus and orchids grow next to each other in an oak forest on sand substrates (which are self tilling due to the wind and yes its deep tillage) in a climate thats subzero more than half of the year.  I just think its a case by case basis not some sort of golden rule...