livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] on Logsdon and the many versions of no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] on Logsdon and the many versions of no-till
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:13:24 -0600

Yes, Groff has made real progress with the crimper and no-till but they do
report challenges in trying to transplant into crimped cover crops. That's
tractor work of course and we small, organic, permanent bed growers don't
have that problem at all, nor the expense of tractor implements, nor the soil
compacting they inevitably cause. Nor do we depend on fossil fuels to run
tractors or fossil fuel-derived fertilizers and pesticides and herbicides.
And home use or selling locally isn't vulnerable to rising costs of long haul
distribution.

The last oil spike with gas at $4 was just a preview. Peak oil, natural gas
limits and water problems are now starting to get mainstream media attention.
Best evidence and authorities show a supply plateau right now with no
increase on the radar screen, while global demand keeps rising. And in the
face of deepening recession here that should depress demand and price. Gas
should be much cheaper but it's not, and the reason is global supply and
demand. They wouldn't be renting rigs at $1 million a day in deepwater if
they had good prospects anywhere else.

YMMV but we were talking about the risks of fossil fuel reliance in food
production (and resulting economic downturn) years before the last gas spike
and current Great Recession. So I wouldn't buy stock in John Deere. I'd buy
shovels and wheelbarrows.