livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] do you have an organic no-till garden?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] do you have an organic no-till garden?
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 19:05:16 -0400

Technically, right now I don't; I have three plots of varying ages and sizes, and the first year tillage or spading was an absolute requirement! I'm also planting one of the older beds with permanent crops (Jerusalem artichokes, Asparagus Rhubarb and multiplier onions) so I had to dig a trench for the asparagus, and the 'chokes get dug up and a few replanted in the fall, same with the onions. So I don't know if that qualifies as no-till. But in the future I will be only putting a deep mulch of well-composted horse manure (I'm just praying there's none of those weedkillers in the stuff the horses ate!), so there will be little if any disturbance to the soil. But organic, yes (not certified).

Barbara M
Foster, RI

--
"Animals Are A Gift"