livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Surprisingly Sugary Foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Patricia Ruggiero" <ruggierop@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ten Surprisingly Sugary Foods
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:51:53 -0400

OK, the cranky person is weighing in again.

> 6. Dried Fruit
> Fruit is already naturally sweet, so why would dried fruit contain an
> excess of added sugar? Don't turn to logic when debating what snacks to
> buy;

This annoys me because (1) the obvious fact is that dried fruit concentrates
the sugars and everything else; and without the water to fill you up, you're
likely to eat more of the dried fruit; and (2) the writer ought to insist
that people understand the reason that something might not be quite as
healthful as they first thought. Skip the patronizing.

> 7. Juice
> Tip of the day: although labels like "all natural" and "100 percent juice"
> sound healthy, it would be a wise choice to just ignore them. Despite the
> wholesome promise of such statements stamped on the carton in big, bold
> print, a serving of Langer's Apple Juice contains 26 grams of sugar and
> the same amount of Minute Maid Orange Juice follows close behind with 24
> grams of sugar. You are better off just eating the fruit and sipping
> water.

I could wish the writer had mentioned WHY we're better off eating the whole
fruit: that the fiber in the whole fruit fills us up, so we need only eat
ONE apple or orange, etc. Ever squeeze your own OJ? Then you know that it
takes more than one orange to fill a 6-oz glass full of juice (and sugar).

Pat (who deliberately drinks a 6-oz glass of OJ in the morning, because she
likes it, but otherwise does not consume fruit juice)