livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no-till?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no-till?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:39:13 -0500

Emery Mitchamore wrote:
This was my first year with a cover crop and, in spite of cutting it down twice, it's still growing so vigorously that the Snow Peas are smothered. It's a mix of Vetch, Wheat, and Oats - maybe something else would be more cooperative. I'm sure the transplants will fare better, but I don't think I'll do that again.

Vetch has that reputation. I don't care what they say about it, I won't use it.

I keep hearing stories on the net about people who got plots in a community garden that are completely over-run because someone planted it as a green manure and they couldn't get rid of it. The person getting the overrun plot often gave up and let someone else deal with it, too. I honestly doubt vetch would be that aggressive where I live, but why take a chance? Vetch is often sold as an erosion control plant. One person I know in NC is really mad that they put it down near her house. She says it keeps trying to climb out of the ditch and up into her yard.

Morgan