livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Health care reform

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Health care reform
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:43:48 -0700

People know vegetable are good for you.
What they don't know is why and just how much.
Or where we get real health reform.

Barb's been recording a new show on TV, Doctor Oz. I couldn't help but notice
that the diet for heart disease, cancer, and many other conditions happens to
be mostly what we can grow in our own gardens, or as he pointed out, can be
bought in the grocery for about the same cost as the poisonous foods.

http://www.doctoroz.com/
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/anti-cancer-shopping-list
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/anti-cancer-cookbook

Today Oz had Dr. Katz on the show among others, and showed many vegetables
that prove to have positive results for cancer prevention. This is hard
science, not theory.

Dr. Katz is the Director and founder (1998) of Yale University's Prevention
Research Center and has a very long, impressive CV.
http://www.davidkatzmd.com/bio.asp
http://www.yalegriffinprc.org/about_us/bios/dkatz_bios.php3

But the most fascinating part brought out is epigenetics. It explodes the
long held myth that genes are destiny. This is the recently accepted view of
modern genetics that environment, food, and lifestyle actually influences
gene expression. This the missing link to explain why certain foods and herbs
have surprising and provable effects on our health.

http://www.sciencemag.org/feature/plus/sfg/resources/res_epigenetics.dtl
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3411/02.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics