livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] solar/crank radios

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: John Bischoff <mingol@roadrunner.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] solar/crank radios
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:40:48 -0500

At 04:37 PM 2/24/2010, you wrote:

Do you all have any opinions on the solar/crank radios, some have flashlight on them too. I had two from Cheaper Than Dirt bought in 99 and they used to work great but just tried them this summer and neither one worked a bit. We also bought a much more expensive one at Radio Shack but I have not tried it, its hopefully in the trailer under all the stuff:)

I had solar yard lights back in mid? ninetys and they were not good for anything. As I had almost two days without power recently when it snowed, I sure could have used these items and the light source. I'm used to TV middle of the night during my insomnia:). I did read part of The Secret Teachings of Plants and all of Pat Conroy's newest book South of Broad

There are two kinds of crank radios (and flashlights, etc.).
The less desirable kind uses the crank to turn a generator which charges a nicad battery. They are OK until the nicad wears out - and that happens earlier than usual because the nicad's cycle is erratic instead of regular.
The desirable kind uses the crank to wind a mainspring which drives a very small generator which in turn powers the radio, usually for about a half hour, then you crank it up again. Those should last nearly forever - or until the mechanical stuff wears out. They were invented in Australia and can be identified by the quiet 'whiffling' of the rotating generator and the clockwork gears in there - much like the 'whiffling' of the clock works in an old mechanical chiming clock. Such mechanical stuff uses a tiny paddlewheel and air resistance to maintain a relatively constant RPM. These generally have no flashlight, as the light emitter would represent a variable power drain and would thus 'throw off' the system's balance.
A separate flashlight or LED 'torch' would be better anyway - handier, more flexible, more portable, etc. Two dollars at WalMart will get you a LED pocket light source that is 3/16 inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 2.5 inches long, intended as a keychain light. Two internal button cells that can be replaced (at a cost of $4). Comes in several colors. I carry one all the time because every dang time I have to DO something it is always on the floor, under something, and in the darkest corner and I got tired of having to go find a flashlight. Twenty bucks more and you get a 4.75 inch long Coleman LED flashlight with a crenelated bezel (intended as a weapon for cutting an attacker's face/forehead) that gives a light so bright that it will dang near fry your eyeballs. Clearly illuminates stuff 75 yards away. I highly recommend both kinds.
Best regards
John