livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] hybrids

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] hybrids
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:08:27 -0700

Well, we've had a solid month of cold and snow on the ground, another 6" last
nite and single digits. So maybe I jumped the gun pulling mulch back from the
shallot beds. Shoots in the garlic beds don't seem to mind the cold. Was
hoping to start framing the top on the 18'x24' pepper greenhouse today since
the last 8" finally melted, but nooooooooo. At least frozen mornings this
month let me finish two 3'x24' plant benches in the new seedling greenhouse
which got covered in Dec. My hope with that (among other uses) is to have
gallons of butternet & delicata to set out in may and mature before the
grasshopper invasion, and use crookneck or pumpkin as trap crops. Last year
they relieved me of having to harvest the squash and carrots.