livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] hybrids

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] hybrids
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Here I can only guess and say what I've seen. My guess would be the yields will depend on a number of factors, the type of 'heirloom' , how stable its yield has been up now, how likely it is similar allele's pollinate each other. I also suspect that the more varieties of heirloom you grow the more likely you are to maintain their yield, and periodically refreshing them with new genetic stock is a good idea - as in livestock.

Observations:
I have let the broccoli open pollinate for a while now (originally an heirloom), its gotten smaller heads, the seeds seem more viable and the taste is not quite what it used to be but still is pretty good. (This was originally 2 varieties, a raab and a straight broccoli).  I haven't done any brix measurements on it or anything fancy so I can't say its not something else thats changed the taste.  Also the arugula open pollinates, its viability seems to have gone up (again no numbers), the plants are a little less leafy, but the taste is still about the same (1 original variety). The volunteer tomatoes on the other hand, seem to produce and taste about as good as their original heirloom forebearers.  Carrots look about the same as the originals, and I haven't had much success with curcuribits since I tend to lose the seeds to mold even when I clean and dry them. The kale's seem a little smaller but have maintained their taste nicely, in fact I think its improved (I think we had 3 original varieties here). The potatoes are invariant since they are started from stock - still trying to get viable seeds, I messed up collecting them too early. Will try own bean seeds for the first time next season, but it'll be a very small batch.

Caveats:
My sample sets are probably too small to be significant. I'm still new to seed saving.  I still have a lot of learning to do, haven't finished 'seed to seed' or 'breeding vegetable crops' and haven't spent enough effort learning about 'micropropagation' - which looks promising. I'm not much of a botanist either, but the idea of not buying seeds and having plants which are 'naturalized' to the local conditions is still something worth achieving.