livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Becoming a Third World Nation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Becoming a Third World Nation
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:43:25 -0700

On sifting manure or whatever Debbie, I do put it thru a quarter inch screen
of hardware cloth on a 2x4 frame at a 45 degree angle. Took some trial and
error before I got the technique to make it fast and easy. But it's more or
less pulverized and aged before I get it (thanks to a friend on this list
nearby). If it's not powdery dry first then it's a job. I do this because I
need to mix it thoroughly with some other amendments and spread on beds
before working it in. Avoid clumps of uneven amendments. Even distribution in
the bed is essential with things like carrots which can fork and go bad if
they hit undigested organic material.

I won't get off into the health insurance nightmare, except to say they take
out a big chunk every month for it but I can't afford the deductibles even as
a government retiree.