livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] weevils in beans/lentils?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] weevils in beans/lentils?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:23:49 -0700

Debbie, I wondered where you are in NE TX since I lived in or near Big D most
of my so-called life. What I recall most about soil and climate is nobody
knew how to grow their food. A lot of cotton farmers sold out or switched to
cattle in the '50s when their cheap labor moved to town. My dad had some land
and registered herefords and I learned a lot of useful skills the hard way,
but not food growing. And the alledged farmers market in Big D was nothing
but produce trucked in from the Valley.

It just stopped snowing here - for now. Now it's mud and keeping me from
garden jobs when the cold wind is still. Most years we don't get this much
precip, with 10" annual avg. I don't need El Nino.There's too much to get
ready for next season to sit in front of the computer all winter. A market
garden is no country for old men ;-)