livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] weevils in beans/lentils?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] weevils in beans/lentils?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:37:51 -0800 (PST)

Probably a great question , all I could find was a usda chart including weevil damaged lentils, but I have no idea what it means. Curious why not just wash them out like any other bug and cook the lentils? Unless most of them are damaged then I guess I'd personally toss them unless making compost tea (wanna make sure I drown out the weevil eggs).

If somebody can explain the table to me it would be great! Don't quite understand dockage-free requirements either, but it was interesting so I looked at it.

http://archive.gipsa.usda.gov/reference-library/standards/lentils.pdf