livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Florence fennel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Florence fennel
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:26:12 -0600

I started it in flats last year. It did very well and didn't bolt all summer. Left some of it in too long. I don't know if it was Florence though.

Marty In Kansas City
On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Dieter Brand wrote:

Paul,

Fennel tends to bolt in the summer even in Germany, which has a temperate climate. There, it is mostly planted (or sown) from June to mid-July as a follow-on crop, especially after green peas or potatoes.

I have never had any problems with bulbs getting woody, even those that re-grew from the same rootstock the following year.

Fennel is traditionally very popular in the South of Europe, especially Italy. In the North, it didn’t used to be common, but has become more popular together with the health boom in recent years.

Dieter