livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Florence fennel

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Florence fennel
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:53:50 -0700

Yes, the kind that forms bulbs. Barb knows it but it's new to me. If it's big
in Europe as she says but not here, it calls to me. I'm concerned about
bolting, but we're not nearly as hot as your place and I'll try summer
planting to grow in fall. It's good to hear it works as transplant since my
bed space is limited and has to be kept busy. And more multiply from those
left in the ground? I hope they don't get woody that way. I'll try mulching
for next winter. Also ordered purple Kohlrabi seed so that's another probable
fall experiment for market. Don't know how they'll go over even at upscale
markets.

If I recall, Hildegard of Bingen was mentioned as a mystic herbalist by
Huizinga but her use of fennel is news. I'm not surprised tho that they knew
a lot of botany nine centuries ago. We have a lot to learn.