livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:03:08 -0700

For a gallon about 3-4/5 coir mix, a handful each of garden soil, alfalfa
meal, manure, and pinches of bone meal and greensand, all well mixed. Ideally
it should be watered and sit for a few weeks then but I don't usually manage
that long. Or multiples of that in the wheelbarrow or tub. Same mix for 4"
pots where they germinate. Too much soil and it'll pull away from the
container sides and crust, and water runs down the sides instead of soaking
in to the roots. Even watering helps. I transplant gallons by making holes
just the right size with a post hole digger. Also saves some of the bending.
Enough bending and kneeling anyway without any that can be avoided ;-)