livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:01:44 -0700

Interesting. Speaking only for myself, I see no point in sterile potting
mixes. I've never seen any evidence it avoids disease or other problems. And
I don't spend money on heating pads and lights. I tell myself KISS - keep it
simple stupid ...

I just use some commercial coir-based mix, with small amounts of the things
that go in the beds, soil, alfalfa meal, screened manure, bonemeal,
greensand, maybe some vermicompost. Hardly sterile! And I germinate in 4"
pots in flats indoors, then move to get some light soon as stuff sprouts.
Never had a problem with disease or damping off.

I can relate to the vehicle thing ........