livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] compost tea

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] compost tea
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:40:35 -0700

Ed, Bobby G.'s method sounds ok (Wisconsin soil there must be very different
from mine), tho for myself I have questions about the leachate content of
soluble salts. I also want the manure and/or plant fiber to go into the soil
rather than just what will dissolve out into the water, to build up the level
of organic matter and retain moisture better. And for a larger garden or
market garden it may be more practical to work it all into the bed to begin
with. Since other amendments need to be worked in as well, it's better for me
to do it all at one time. Moisture, warmth, and mulch then provide the
conditions for the right kind of microbes to break down and combine all the
materials in the soil in a natural way.

The amendments vary depending on the grower, soil, climate, etc. We have thin
topsoil with little or no organic matter content, so I amend accordingly. The
horse manure I use is aged, pulverized and screened to break down faster, and
alfalfa meal provides the nitrogen to aid in manure decomposition, and trace
minerals. Both add organic matter (fiber). Usually I'll add in a little rock
phosphate or bone meal and greensand. It's all mixed in a wheelbarrow, half
full for a 3'x8' bed, spread evenly on beds, and worked in twice with a
shovel instead of a tiller. There's no waste since it all goes into framed
beds instead of the aisles we walk on. Same with water and mulch, nothing
wasted on aisles.